Sunday, December 21, 2008

Family Day and What-Nots

Wanda and I found myself at Victoria Plaza after shift, going through different shops and still deciding what to buy with the budget given to us for our program's Family Day/Christmas Party. We were there to buy prizes for our major awardees, for awards like Mr and Ms Headturner, Red Hot Agent, Power Couple and Gay Star and for minor ones like Early Bird. It was an agonizing experience, aside from the fact that all the displays overwhelmed us and not helping us at all on what to buy, but with me limping and wincing with every step. My gout has no respect for this once-a-year pioneer event and it had taken the perfect timing to attack.

We browsed through different shops that contain trinkets from Taiwan and China. These things are mostly ran-offs and poor imitations of the branded things. While I don't have a bone to pick with some of the items, I just wish they wouldn't be so blatantly fake. If the quality is passable, why not go to design town and get artsy and creative with the aesthetic of the thing? I doubt there would shortage on ideas and ingenuity in the internet. Some of them looked quite the real thing but it would definitely be better without the logos. And then there are some that aren't fake at all if branding would be the basis but are nevertheless disgusting because of their dubious quality such as batteries that only run for a minute and plastic toys that are impossibly brittle. I suppose they are there because of their affordability but if you really think about them, they are only problems in the long run. Haven't I read somewhere that batteries are dangerous and should be disposed properly? And plastics are plastic are plastic and are non biodegradable. That means we are just buying the cheap and fastest ticket to a more polluted Earth.

We did find some cute toys like the plastic motor fan shaped like a man with its penis as the switch. We thought it could be a nice prize so we asked for four of them. Surprise, surprise- out of the seven displayed, only one was working. We also came across a cute mug and a funky photo frame and giving up on the quality but taking it at face value, got one of each.

The fan was perfect for the Red Hot Agent. It was too small an amount so we added by buying the little chest of gold coins we saw inside the department store. In all honesty, I actually did not want to. I thought we shouldn't be awarding this agent at all. I mean, why reward someone who is basically an asshole? Then I conceded when I thought that these guys are not necessarily mean people (except for one nominee who had his 5-minute of fame as a 10k boy/gay and whom I totally find despicable, me and Wanda are probably meaner), it's just that they panic too soon and react too much when faced with a particularly complicated call. Their reactions are usually funny and almost always become a good reference and representation of our lives as call center agents.

We also found our prizes for our Headturners inside. We passed by the accessories section and I thought the silver and black gothic jewelry would go well since we work at night, like vampires. However, we settled with the shiny plain silver chains thinking it would compliment their beautiful faces and fit bodies, if not their slightly vain (hopefully not shallow) personas. The only inspiration we got was for the Gay Star- the shiny metallic tiara we bought would perfectly crown the queen of our program like nothing would.

We passed by Dreamworld to shop for five pairs of colorful tumblers, which are perfectly allowed to be bought in the floor. I looked at the place and crinkled my nose in distaste at the state of the shop. Before, Dreamworld was the place to buy original Disney/WB items. I remember I used to go there to windowshop for my favorite character: Tazmania. I couldn't afford anything back then because the price was too steep and now that I think I could, I wouldn't because I think I'm too old for them.

My gout got more prominent. With every step, it's like my whole being became focused on my big toe, the pain acute and the skin too sensitive, like million pins pushing in that special damned region. We bought candies to be put in lootbags for our guest kids. The shopping was almost over and I bought cheese-flavored french fries from Fries 'R Us. I had a moment when I popped a still-hot string in my mouth. One had to do these before it gets soggy. I smiled as I remembered myself 10 years back. I went to this mall, the first one ever in Davao City, for this. Despite the occasional sting on my foot when I try to move it ever so slowly, I felt it was all worth it. We bought what our program needed for tonight and I got a memory.

***

I woke up too late for the party. Fortunately, the pain on my feet had subsided; the uric acid that had crystallized probably melted by the couple of Colchicine I downed before I went to sleep. When I reached the office, people were already going out because the programme was finished. I was disappointed I wasn't able to take pictures at all nor and I didn't find out who won the awards. All was not in vain though. One of the people milling about at the entrance was the winner of the Gay Star Award. To anyone who cares, Biboi would insist this is just a "trip", whatever that means.


***

After the Christmas party I missed, I went to Wh'stletop, MTS and spent some bonding time with Jenny, Dimples, Avs and Nerissa. It was supposed to be a Batch 17 Christmas Get-Together but apparently, our batchmates had plans of their own that night. So much for spontaineity- that would only work with your closer friends like the five of us who met that night; others would be more likely to go on with their own plans if you don't plan way in advance. We also saw Alma and some of our other CIs that night. Alma was still as cute as a pixie. Hope her personal life is now better than the last time I heard it was.

***

Edick, who had his shop displaced a week ago, from the old Impit Purok to the stall beside Bulbagaba at Taboan, joined us. I didn't have any Christmas gift for him yet so I asked him what he wanted. Asking was not a wise thing to do. Without thinking much about it, Edick answered a massage. Edick was more of a 'massage parlor connoissuer' than I am so I knew exactly what he was up to. He told me a friend recommended a new one along Obrero Street. So we did and found FSN Body Spa and Massage Center. I don't think it's the same place that his friend has recommended. I had to laugh at Edick when our one hour session was finished. He was so disappointed. He said he didn't even try flirting with the masseur; the massage service itself left too much to be wanted. He despaired he'd never heard of a simple oil rub cost that much. Oh well, it's the thought that counts- a libre is still a libre.

***

Here's a Happy Birthday! to two of the men in my life. No issues or malice here, it's just that they are literally men and they are part of my life. Haha! Anyway, here's a toast to Sup Ron and my friend, JayR! Wish you a more blessed year! :)

Also, Congratulations! to Rhea. She just got her VISA. I'm sad to realize the Circle finds it harder and harder to reunite but I'm sincerely happy that it's finally Rhea's time to go out and experience the world by herself. Lipad Reipooh Lipad!

1 comment:

Ron Reyes said...

thanks for the greeting and for the "no malice" disclaimer hehehe.