Sunday, December 14, 2008

Where's The Turkey?

I grabbed the chance of having a thanksgiving party together with my fellow QA passer, Gwen, without batting an eyelash. How else could I get luckier? In a moment's notice, her mom had took on the responsibility of organizing a party to celebrate, well, uhmm.. our success. Their place was available, the food and drinks already ordered and it was only a matter of adding my own monetary contribution and guest list and all was set for the evening.

So at 6pm, without a second's sleep, I went to get Nerry from her boarding house and together we went to Morales Village, at Gwen's house. I expected more than the handful of people that had attended but I suppose it was just impossible to have everyone when each of us have different teams, and therefore, schedules. The table, although all there had already eaten was still full. Even beef stew from my favorite Carling's had made it to Gwen's table. There was also lechon, some kind of a sweet-tasting chicken, a tomato-based pork dish, fish strips, fried shrimp, kinilaw and pancit (I'm not exactly sure what their specific names were but I liked it all). We had leche flan and yummy fruit salad for desert. I really couldn't be more satisfied with the food available.


Since Gwen and I moved in basically the same circle, we have the same guests. On top of that, I invited team-O (Team Orgy for the uninitiated but no, we don't really do that. That is, we do it discreetly one-on-one :P). Nerry, Lester, Lala, Chelsea, Oliver, Tope and I- a mere fraction of our glorious rancuous training team, were the only ones there. While I hoped the others would be there, I guess I couldn't really insist on that. It was after all, just a thanksgiving. Nothing too personal with that.



I am grateful. That's the reason for the event in the first place but it was with despair that I grudgingly ended the night and went to the office because I still had duty. I have asked my current supervisor the night before to take the day off but I got a firm no. So being the (slightly) goody-two-shoes that I am, I limited my alcohol intake that night and still sober but tired (I never got to sleep at all during the day), took on an 8-hour shift of answering begruntled customers whose issues are not limited on the product they are calling about.

Because I was totally spent, I got nauseated the night after, running a slight fever and unable to summon up enough energy even to take a bath (it's all probably in my head) so I called in sick. So yeah, I got a bit miserable but really, at the end of the day, I still could feel gratitude wash over me like the rain does after a particularly humid and muggy day: I don't have to take in calls anymore and that thought never fails to bring a grin on my face.

More pictures here.

No comments: