Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sup Call

It's raining once again on this fine beautiful Thursday, and I've been lucky enough not to get caught in it and reach home just in time before it really started. I can certainly smell and feel Christmas but aside from the cool smoggy air, I've received unexpected presents that I'll be counting in for this year's yuletide season.

See, before I went home from work, a supervisor asked me for my IJEF. I don't know the words for the acronym and I can't tell you even if my life depended on it, but this is actually the application form required by management when someone wants to go higher up in our call center company's ladder. Before him, I was also asked by my own supervisor to pass my resume (although he embarrassed me to death by reading my older one). These amount to two reasons I could definitely smile about at work everyday.

Now this may not necessarily mean my application (yes I will certainly submit it) would result to anything definite, and I would certainly not hope too much to protect my all-too-sensitive heart but compliments like these definitely make this lowly agent feel so much better with himself. These make me want to work harder, although God knows I'm fed up sick agreeing with strangers that my accent is bad, even laughing with them at MY expense, and be better or fabulously amiable while taking calls simply to make these superiors also proud of themselves for leading a team that, in the ranking and reports, actually performs. In other words, the compliment, even if given indirectly, warrants a mutual compliment and would mean I'll go on continue laughing AT myself if only to get a CSAT (or a positive feedback) for the team.

What I am basically is a team player, like most people are and what most can be, and a simple form of acknowledgment, the smallest appreciative remark or in my case encouragement, given sometimes, even if they are a few in between, can get a group of people to move-- and move in the right direction. What I'm saying is that anyone in position should try being more vocally appreciative, or at least being generally a bit more nicer to those below their status, especially the ones they are managing. One can never measure the effect a thing such as this will bring about. Right now, that's reciprocated appreciation and a certain fondness for these two guys.

So to these two superiors, here's a sup call on you! Kudos!

No comments: